Thursday, March 15, 2012

Water worth more than Gold in Astoria, Oregon



Why for the love of Pete would I have a $140.58 water bill this month when God has produced more rain in that time in Astoria than the City of Los Angeles could consume in 2 months?

They built a new waste water treatment facility which cost the City some money I know but I just can't believe 2 people could consume $140 worth of water in a single month. Part of the reason the wife and I moved to Astoria is because of the abundance of water. The Pacific Ocean and the Columbia River is a stone’s throw from us pouring zillions of gallons of water a day into the Pacific and yet water prices are higher than gold or gasoline. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if someone living in the Mojave Dessert in Southern California pays smaller water bills than ours.

Wikipedia says, "There is an average of 194 days with measurable precipitation in Astoria. The wettest year was 1950 with 113.34 inches and the driest year was 1985 with 41.58 inches. The most rainfall in one month was 36.07 inches in December 1933. The most rainfall in 24 hours was 5.56 inches on November 25, 1998."

The average precipitation per year is 66.4 inches and we’re paying these prices?

I wonder if the City plans to lower the price of water to a reasonable sum once they’ve recouped the cost of the water treatment facility. Answer, No! What a racket!! I swear I should run for City Council here if for no other reason. We’re drowning in water while the city puts a gun to our heads, it’s unbelievable.

Maybe I'm a little grumpy because it's been raining cats and dogs and yes even snowing all week and the sun is nowhere to be found, and then I get a $140 water bill. I need a vacation like nobody's business to anywhere South, NOW!! Okay now I feel better, I’ll pay my water bill and shut up.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers