Monday, December 20, 2010

There’s a new Sheriff in Town, his name is Tim Tebow


I’m sure, like many of you Die Hard Broncos Fans out there, getting swept by the Raiders would have been the big Hurt Locker story not just of the week but maybe the entire 2010 season. Am I right?

I know for me personally the loss, in combination with the sweep, any other year would have really ticked me off. It would have set me off on a long and very angry nuclear rant. Despite forcing 2 first quarter turnovers the defensive effort the Broncos gave in this one was another of the all time worst I’ve seen against the Raiders.

Don’t get me wrong “any” loss to the Raiders is a devastating ass kicker.  The truth is had Orton started this game, the Broncos still would have lost and by a wider margin.

Rather than reviewing all the boring, crappy plays by maybe the worst defensive unit (the tackling was horrendous) in Broncos team history, let’s deal with Tebow’s first start and his future with the Broncos.

From the opening snap of the game his sheer presence and demeanor alone made you know something different was in the air. Was I the only one to notice the difference in the intensity of the offense? Granted that change wasn’t going to be enough to help the Broncos beat the Raiders, especially since Studsville called an unbelievably predictable conservative game; but the intensity was at a higher level because Tebow’s was.

First and foremost Tebow is a warrior who has no fear. What he lacks in polish he makes up for in heart, blood and guts. Despite being rough around the edges and inexperienced, he exhibits confidence.  I think people forget how important an intangible self confidence is in the game of football. It’s part of the reason he was a winner in college. He’s no quitter and I’ll bet we’ll never see him give up on a game in a Broncos uniform either.
Tebow ran for a 40 yard TD, his first as a starter. No worries Broncos Fans they'll be many more.

Too many talking heads say Tebow’s college career is irrelevant. Really? He’s played in 2 National Title games and he’s a Heisman Trophy winner, but that’s irrelevant? This doesn’t mean his great college career will automatically translate to success in the NFL but having a resume like that is very impressive.

He has a better arm than people give him credit for. His scrambling and running ability is a tremendous asset, which the Broncos will need with this young OL and terrible running game going forward. Those two aspects of his game combined with his other qualities certainly demands that he replace the cloddish clunker that is the lame duck Kyle Orton.  

Here’s how Tebow has described himself, “I’m a football player who happens to play QB.” Can anyone disagree after watching the game yesterday?  I can’t wait to see him play this week against the Texans lousy pass defense. He should have a big day if Studs will use that bean on the top of his neck and let Tebow throw the ball.

Tebow starting has renewed my dying Broncos spirit. My ashes lie in a heap, just like so many Broncos Fans a week ago, but Tebow begs to make it a whole new day, a whole new week and whole new season next year. I was actually back to screaming and yelling at the TV yesterday, something I haven’t done in a long time. For 2 years I’ve sat in angry silence mainly muttering obscenitie

and when the moment was right yelling a loud one but this game was different. Change is coming and the orange and blue blood transfusion is flowing through my veins again. 

I’ve never been a blind homer, and I know it’s just one game but I have a feeling Tebow with a little help on D next year is going to bring back the pride and glory of our beloved Broncos.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers