Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Link of Eternal Brotherhood



Lenny and me, Wyoming Cowboys first and last.
I was fortunate enough to have a very good friend from Wyoming visit me this weekend in Astoria. I’ve known Lenny Martin since 1986 which was when I first joined the Worland Wyoming Jaycees. One of the gifts I’m most grateful for in this life has been the many outstanding individuals I’ve met in the United States Junior Chamber of Commerce during my tenure in the organization from 1986 until 2001.

I’ve made friends all over the great State of Wyoming and the U.S. but there are only a handful of friends that I can call very close and intimate. Lenny would be at the top of that male list.

In 1991 when I moved to Laramie, WY to take a Manager’s job for a trucking company our relationship as friends quickly bonded into a lifelong one that has been and will continue to be one of the best and most important in my life.

Lenny and Jeff 1993

Lenny and I have similar life experiences not only from our humble and sometimes very difficult childhood but also into early adulthood and middle age. Both of us early in our lives were rough around the edges but in time with the polish of age, experience and self improvement the shine would rise to the top. The personal relationship between us and the success and failures we’ve shared together have forever linked us to eternal brotherhood.

Lenny IS Wyoming. He was chiseled out of the hardest stone of the Rocky Mountains. He’s an excellent example of the rugged bootstraps individualism and conservatism that is the staple of many of great people from Wyoming. He formed his own real estate company in Laramie and has a B.S. from the University of Wyoming. His success in the real estate business help support the 3 children he raised. Lenny has many great attributes but his role as an involved and dedicated Father has to be his own best personal achievement in life. 2 of his kids have college degrees and one of his sons serves in U.S. Naval submarine fleet.

This isn’t to say Lenny is perfect none of us are but he’s spent a lifetime striving for personal improvement and knowledge. Lenny isn’t just book smart and educated; he has the better quality of a strong foothold in good sound common sense and plain hard work. Lenny has been a great listener and supportive in the best and worse times of my life. Although the years and miles may have separated us in the flesh it never has in the spirit.

Lenny is one of those dear friends that you could not hear from for a year but as soon as the phone call or the personal visit began it’s like you had never been apart.

When I stand next to Lenny I want to believe that in many respects I’m looking into a mirror. With very few exceptions we’re identical. We’ve had similar upbringing and adult life experiences; we’re non-apologetic Christians and Conservatives, hard working, honest and intelligent. But perhaps the best part is the belief that a loyal and solid friendship through thick and thin is the most important virtue outside of thy self.

Thanks for going out of your way just to come and see me Lenny. I can’t begin to thank you enough for what your friendship has meant to me. Until we meet or talk again I’ll always love ya Man!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers