Sunday, February 13, 2011

10 years ago today a broken leg changes my life


Who knew a major bodily injury would be the best thing that ever happened to me. The whole course of my life was forever changed after it. I met my wife Jenny during that time, helped my Daughter get through HS and went onto a career change.

It was 10 years ago today I slipped on a patch of ice in Cody, WY twisted my left leg behind me and on the way to the ground snapped both my tibia and fibula in half and also broke my left ankle. After going to the ER, getting emergency surgery, a 7 inch plate with 8 screws, 3 months of a cast and then a boot and over 2 years of rehab I finally recovered.
  
Once I did recover, I lost 50 pounds, took up running, at the peak of my running stint I was running 27 miles a week, I run in 9 5K’s 3 10k’s in one year. In 2004 I went through the Police Academy in Marysville, CA at the age of 44 (oldest in my class) and 6 months later I was wearing a badge and a gun. And so a whole new life started for me after the age of 40.

People who say life is over after 40 have no idea. The best years of my life have been the last 10 and even though arthritis has taken over my left leg now the pain is actually a good reminder of just how blessed I was to have broken it. I wouldn’t be where I am today, I wouldn’t change a thing.  

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers